amazingkural.blogspot.com

Monday, November 13, 2017

Story of Lovers’ Meeting, Parting, Waiting, Pining and Feigning – Part 2

 


Story of Lovers’ Meeting, Parting, Waiting, Pining, and Feigning – Part 2

Marital Love

Parting

The young couple is happily married and enjoying their married life. One day war breaks out between their country and a neighboring country. The hero decides to join the war and fight on behalf of his king. He realizes that in order for him to fight in the war, he must travel, and his wife has to be home alone. After marriage, he has not gone away from his village, leaving his wife alone at home. He is not sure how his wife would react to the news of his going away to fight in a war. He is very hesitant to break the news to her. He has been preparing for his impending travel. He thought he was making the preparations without the knowledge of his wife. But, the wife is very observant and suspects that he is planning to be away from home on travel and that too a rather lengthy one. The thought of being separated from her husband is very troublesome to her.

 

At this stage, the wife’s girlfriend visits her. The girlfriend quickly finds out that something is bothering the wife. She asks her the reason for her depressed mood. The wife says, “I have found out that my husband is planning on travel, and I will have to be alone. Until I found out about his travel, his very look was so sweet and pleasing to me. Now, even his embrace saddens me because of his forthcoming travel (kural – 1152). He is the one who told me that he will always be with me, and he knows how difficult it is for me to be away from him. Now, he is planning to go away on travel, leaving me alone. I am not sure whether I can depend on his kind words and assurances anymore (kural – 1153).” The girlfriend understands the mental agony of the wife and consoles her by saying that she will go and talk to her husband and, if possible, ask him not to go. The girlfriend meets with the husband and conveys his wife’s concern about his travel. The husband says that there is going to be a war and that his king needs his support. So, he says that his travel is unavoidable, and he hopes to be back soon. The girlfriend tells the wife what the husband told her. The wife regrets by saying, “If he is so heartless to announce his departure, I think there is no hope that he will return to renew his love for me (kural – 1156)”. After a few days, the husband comes to his wife with the idea of telling her directly about his departure. The wife guesses what he is about to say. Before he could say anything, she says, “If you are not going, tell me about it. If it is about your quick return, tell that to those who will be alive when you come back (kural -1151)”. In no uncertain terms, the wife tells him that she will die if he leaves.

Shocked by his wife’s abrupt refusal to accept his travel, the husband temporarily postpones his plans for travel. He tries in vain to console her and convince her that his participation in the war is essential for his king’s victory. Although she does not agree with him, she reluctantly gives her consent for his travel. After a few days, the husband leaves on his travel. The wife is feeling sad and lonely. Her girlfriend visits her and offers her some words of consolation. The friend says, “There are many who live through the pangs of separation and attendant grief and survive till the return of their beloved (kural – 1160). You should also shore up your courage and cheer up. He will come back soon.” But the wife continues to be depressed.

Waiting and pining

The wife is unable to bear the separation from her husband. Though she tries to control her emotions, she is unable to control the tears from her eyes. She tells her friend, “It is impossible for me to hide my passionate love for my husband. My eyes are like a spring where the water gushes more and more when it is drained (kural – 1161). I am swimming in the stormy sea of passionate love without being able to see the shore. I am awake and all alone in the dead of night without anybody to console me (kural – 1167). When every living being is sleeping in the night, the night has no companion other than me (kural – 1168). If my eyes could travel like my heart[1] and be with my husband, they need not swim in the flood of tears as they do now (kural – 1170).”  Her ruminations continue, and her eyes continue to shed tears.

 

The friend tells the heroine not to cry. The heroine says it was not she who was crying; it was her eyes. She says that her eyes are very anxious to see her husband, and that is why they are crying. She begins to blame her eyes, as though they have a separate existence and are capable of acting on their own volition. She wonders, “These eyes of mine are the ones that showed me my lover, and because of that, I began to love him. Now I am suffering from this unquenchable desire to be with him. These eyes that are responsible for my present misery are now crying. Why are they crying now (kural – 1171)?” She continues to blame her eyes. She feels that her eyes should have known better. They are responsible for involving her in a love affair with her husband, and that has resulted in her present misery.

The heroine’s girlfriend, who was patiently listening to all these ramblings of the heroine, chides her by saying, “Why are you complaining about your eyes? They did not do anything. You are the one who fell in love with your husband. He will come back soon. All you have to do is to be positive and stop crying and get some sleep.”  The heroine says, “You don’t know about these eyes of mine. It is sweet that my eyes that are responsible for my pain should themselves now grieve in sorrow (kural – 1176). These eyes went on looking at my husband so lovingly. Let them suffer and dry up their tears (kural – 1177)”. The girlfriend says, “I understand all that. But that is an old story. As I told you before, there are many women who are able to bear the pangs of temporary separation from their husbands. How come you are not able to bear the pain of separation?” The wife replies, “We are not like other couples. We are very close to each other. I love him very much. One day, I was hugging my husband and sleeping. I just turned to the other side for a moment. That is it. Instantaneously, overwhelming pallor[2] enveloped me completely (kural - 1187). The other day, as soon as my husband departed for his travel, pallor was all over my body (kural – 1185). Now, do you understand how close we are? How can I tolerate this pain?” The girlfriend replied, “I really can’t help you except saying that you consented to his travel and he will be back soon. In the meantime, find a way to bear the pain of separation and keep yourself healthy.” The girlfriend leaves for her home. The heroine laments by thinking, “Having consented to his travel, to whom can I now complain about my pallor or grief (kural – 1181)?”

The heroine is feeling very lonely, helpless, and pining for her husband. At times, she wonders whether her husband really loves her anymore. She says to herself, “Only those who are loved by their beloved are blessed with the seedless fruit of love (kural – 1191). The lover’s kindness to his beloved is like the timely rain to those who depend on it (kural – 1192). Oh, my heart! Your effort to share your grief with people who have no sympathy for you is useless. It is like trying to dry up the sea (kural – 1200)!” She thinks, “My beloved resides in my heart. But I wonder whether I have a place in his heart (kural – 1204).” She is about to sneeze. But she actually does not go through with it. It was believed in those days that people sneeze if someone close to them thinks of them. Since she did not finish sneezing, she thinks that her husband started to think of her, and then he forgot (kural – 1203). Her mind wanders back and forth. She recalls the happy days of their married life. That makes her feel good. But then, the separation really bothers her.

After a few days, the girlfriend visits the heroine to check how she is doing. The heroine says, ”I had a dream last night. The dream brought me a message from my husband. What kind of a treat can I give this wonderful dream that brought me a message from him (kural – 1211)? Though my husband does not show up and make me happy during waking hours, he does come into my dream. That is the reason my life lingers on (kural – 1213). In my dreams, he embraces my shoulders; but when I wake up, he rushes back to my heart (kural – 1218).” The girlfriend is somewhat relieved that the heroine sees her husband, at least in her dreams, and feels good about it.

The heroine has been waiting anxiously for her husband’s arrival, which is taking longer than she expected. She finds that the pain of separation is more during the evenings. She tells her girlfriend, “The pain of separation from my husband is like a bud in the morning and blossoms into a full-blown passion in the evening (kural – 1227). So long as my beloved stayed with me, I did not know that the evenings could bring so much pain (kural – 1226).”

Finally, the heroine reaches a stage where she finds it increasingly difficult to bear the pain of separation. When her husband was with her, he used to say that her eyes are more beautiful than the flowers. Now, she feels that her eyes have lost their beauty, and they are ashamed to look at the flowers (kural – 1231). She also feels that her eyes have become pale and tearful, and they reveal the unkind behavior of her husband (kural – 1232). Her shoulders swelled with joy when she rejoiced with her husband. Now, they proclaim their separation to the whole world (kural – 1233). She has become weak. Her shoulders have thinned, and her bracelets have become loose. All these physical changes make her more miserable. She feels that her heart is very close to her husband. So, she is asking her heart, “Why don’t you think about my situation and come up with a solution for my ongoing suffering (kural – 1241)?” She tells her heart, “When you go to see my husband next time, please take my eyes with you. They want to see him so badly that they are eating me alive with their desire to see him (kural – 1244)?”

The heroine is getting frustrated at the separation and really wants her husband to come home. She has been making a mark on the wall corresponding to each day of her husband’s absence. She claims that her fingers are worn out by touching and counting the marks she has made on the wall (kural – 1261). She imagines what she would do as and when her husband comes home. She wonders, “When my darling husband comes home, do I sulk? Do I embrace him? Or shall I do both (kural – 1267)”

The hero is also anxious to go home. He wishes that his king would soon be victorious in the war so that he can go home and have a feast with his wife (kural – 1268). He feels that for those who are counting the days until the return of their beloved, a single day will drag on like seven days (kural – 1269). He fears that his wife may be brokenhearted and face death because of his prolonged absence. He is afraid that, in that case, his reunion may be too late and meaningless (kural – 1270).

Finally, the hero is back home. He is excited to be home with his wife. Likewise, his wife is also thrilled that he is back. He looks at her and observes that although she is outwardly happy, something bothers her. He tells her, “In spite of your attempt to hide something from me, your eyes are trying to tell me something (kural - 1271).” She remains silent. He looks at the wife’s girlfriend and says, “Like the thread that is visible through the crystal beads in a necklace, I am able to sense that there is something in my wife’s mind (kural – 1273). I see her smile. But there is something that lurks in her budding smile like the fragrance in the flower bud (kural – 1274).”  The girlfriend knows the heroine very well and guesses what goes on in the heroine’s mind and conveys that to the husband. The girlfriend says, “Did you notice what she did? She looked at her shoulders, that has become very thin. She looked at her bracelets, that are now loose. The same bracelets were fitting before your separation from her. Then she glanced at her feet. She is afraid that you may leave her and go away again. She is trying to tell you that if you plan to go away, she would like to go with you. She does not want to go through the painful experience of separation again (kural – 1279).”  The husband understands his wife’s genuine concern and assures her that he has no intention of leaving her alone and going away.

Feigning

A few days later, one day the girlfriend and the heroine are alone. The heroine had told her friend earlier that when her husband returned, she was going to be mad at him. But, when her husband came home, the heroine was not really mad at her husband. She was very happy and enjoyed her intimacy with her husband. The girlfriend wants to tease the heroine. So, the friend asks, “What about all those things you told me about getting mad at your husband upon his return? You seem to be having fun with him now!”. The heroine replies, “What can I do? When a woman’s passion for love has grown big and immense, there is no place for even a little sulking (kural – 1282). To tell you the truth, I wanted to get mad or at least sulk a little. But, my heart forgot all about it and yearned only for union with him (kural – 1284). When I am near him, I cannot see his faults. When he is not near, I see nothing but his faults (kural – 1286). My eyes do not see the brush that paints them when I am painting. Just like that, when he is near me, I do not see his faults (kural – 1285). What is the use of sulking at him? I know that I cannot sustain it (kural – 1287)”. After the girlfriend leaves, the heroine is alone and talks to herself and wonders about her inability to control her passion and to sulk at her husband. She blames her heart for her inability to sulk and tells her heart, “Oh, my heart! His heart abides by his desires. How come you don’t cooperate with me (kural – 1291)? I am not going to consult with you my more (kural – 1294).”

 

After thinking about her failure to sulk at her husband, she decides to try again. One evening, she is with her friend. The friend suggests, “When your husband comes, avoid embracing him and pretend to be mad at him. Let us see the fun and see how he gets annoyed over it (Kural – 1301). Remember that a little sulking with your husband is like salt in food. It is good if it is in the right measure. Prolonging it is like excess salt in food (kural – 1302).” As expected, the husband arrives at the scene. As it was the custom in those days, he wore flowers in his hair. They were the flowers from far off land. He thought his wife would be impressed by those flowers, and she would embrace him. The wife does not embrace him. She pretends to be mad at him. In order to please her, he says to her, “I love you more than anyone else.” She retorts, “More than whom? More than whom (kural – 1314)?”  When he tells her, “I will not part from you in this life,” her eyes are filled with tears (kural – 1315). She deliberately interpreted his statement that he might part from her in the next life and continued sulking. When he stretched out his hand to embrace her and said, “I was just thinking about you,” she refused to embrace him and retorted, “That means you forgot me. Why did you forget me (kural – 1316)?”

During this interlude of fake anger by his wife, the husband happened to sneeze. As it was the custom, the wife blessed him and started crying by saying, “Who is thinking of you now (kural – 1317)?”  After a while, he was about to sneeze again. Since his wife got upset with him the last time when he sneezed, he tries to control his sneeze. That did not help. She noticed that he was trying to control his sneeze, and she started to cry again by saying, “Somebody is thinking about you, and that is why you are sneezing. You don’t want me to know about that. That is why you are trying to control your sneeze (kural – 1318).” The husband wants to comfort her. But she gets angrier and says, “Is this how you comfort other women when they are angry at you (kural – 1319)?” Finally, he gives up his attempts to comfort her and just keeps looking at her silently and admiring her beauty. But the wife is still pretending to be mad at him and asks, “Why are you looking at me like this? Who are you comparing me against (kural – 1320)?”

Eventually, after profuse apologies from her husband, the wife is unable to pretend that she is angry. When he comes forward to embrace her, she embraces him with overwhelming joy. Their embrace led to their union, which was an exhilarating experience for the couple. The husband thinks, “Even though there is no fault on my part, the temporary denial of my beloved’s embrace has its own special charm when we consummate our love (kural – 1325). Sulking is a delight to the passion of love, and when the sulking ends in close embrace, it becomes the final crowning bliss of love (kural -1330).”

 



[1] It is a literary tradition to attribute the feeling of love to the heart rather than the mind.

[2] Pallor is a pale color of the skin that can be caused by illness, emotional shock or stress, stimulant use, or anemia, and is the result of a reduced amount of oxyhaemoglobin and is visible in skin or mucous membrane.

 


பிரிவாற்றாமை
செல்லாமை உண்டேல் எனக்குரை மற்றுநின்
வல்வரவு வாழ்வார்க் குரை.                                                    (குறள் -1151)
இன்கண் உடைத்தவர் பார்வல் பிரிவஞ்சும்
புன்கண் உடைத்தால் புணர்வு.                                               (குறள் – 1152)
அரிதரோ தேற்றம் அறிவுடையார் கண்ணும்
பிரிவோ ரிடத்துண்மை யான்.                                                (குறள் – 1153)
பிரிவுரைக்கும் வன்கண்ணர் ஆயின் அரிதவர்
நல்குவர் என்னும் நசை.                                                         (குறள் – 1156)
அரிதாற்றி அல்லல்நோய் நீக்கிப் பிரிவாற்றிப்
பின்இருந்து வாழ்வார் பலர்.                                                  (குறள் – 1160)

படர்மெலிந்திரங்கல்
மறைப்பேன்மன் யானிஃதோ நோயை இறைப்பவர்க்கு
ஊற்றுநீர் போல மிகும்.                                                         (குறள் – 1161)
காமக் கடும்புனல் நீந்திக் கரைகாணேன்
யாமத்தும் யானே உளேன்.                                                    (குறள் – 1167)
மன்னுயிர் எல்லாம் துயிற்றி அளித்திரா
என்னல்லது இல்லை துணை.                                                (குறள் – 1168)
உள்ளம்போன்று உள்வழிச் செல்கிற்பின் வெள்ளநீர்
நீந்தல மன்னோஎன் கண்.                                                     (குறள் – 1170)

கண்விதுப்பழிதல்
கண்தாம் கலுழ்வ தெவன்கொலோ தண்டாநோய்
தாம்காட்ட யாம்கண் டது.                                                     (குறள் – 1171)
ஓஒ இனிதே எமக்கிந்நோய் செய்தகண்
தாஅம் இதற்பட் டது.                                                            (குறள் – 1176)
உழந்துழந் துள்நீர் அறுக விழைந்திழைந்து
வேண்டி அவர்க்கண்ட கண்.                                                  (குறள் – 1177)

பசப்புறுபருவரல்
நயந்தவர்க்கு நல்காமை நேர்ந்தேன் பசந்தவென்
பண்பியார்க்கு உரைக்கோ பிற.                                             (குறள் – 1181)
உவக்காண்எம் காதலர் செல்வார் இவக்காண்என்
மேனி பசப்பூர் வது.                                                               (குறள் – 1185)
புல்லிக் கிடந்தேன் புடைபெயர்ந்தேன் அவ்வளவில்
அள்ளிக்கொள் வற்றே பசப்பு.                                                (குறள் – 1187)

தனிப்படர்மிகுதி
தாம்வீழ்வார் தம்வீழப் பெற்றவர் பெற்றாரே
காமத்துக் காழில் கனி.                                                           (குறள் – 1191)
வாழ்வார்க்கு வானம் பயந்தற்றால் வீழ்வார்க்கு
வீழ்வார் அளிக்கும் அளி.                                                       (குறள் – 1192)
உறாஅர்க்கு உறுநோய் உரைப்பாய் கடலைச்
செறாஅஅய் வாழிய நெஞ்சு.                                                  (குறள் – 1200)

நினைந்தவர்புலம்பல்
நினைப்பவர் போன்று நினையார்கொல் தும்மல்
சினைப்பது போன்று கெடும்.                                                 (குறள் – 1203)
யாமும் உளேங்கொல் அவர்நெஞ்சத்து எந்நெஞ்சத்து
ஓஒ உளரே அவர்.                                                                 (குறள் – 1204)

கனவுநிலையுரைத்தல்
காதலர் தூதொடு வந்த கனவினுக்கு
யாதுசெய் வேன்கொல் விருந்து.                                             (குறள் – 1211)
நனவினால் நல்கா தவரைக் கனவினால்
காண்டலின் உண்டென் உயிர்.                                              (குறள் – 1213)
துஞ்சுங்கால் தோள்மேலர் ஆகி விழிக்குங்கால்
நெஞ்சத்தர் ஆவர் விரைந்து.                                                  (குறள் – 1218)

பொழுதுகண்டிரங்கல்
மாலைநோய் செய்தல் மணந்தார் அகலாத
காலை அறிந்த திலேன்.                                                         (குறள் – 1226)
காலை அரும்பிப் பகலெல்லாம் போதாகி
மாலை மலரும்இந் நோய்.                                                      (குறள் – 1227)

உறுப்புநலனழிதல்
சிறுமை நமக்கொழியச் சேட்சென்றார் உள்ளி
நறுமலர் நாணின கண்.                                                         (குறள் – 1231)
நயந்தவர் நல்காமை சொல்லுவ போலும்
பசந்து பனிவாரும் கண்.                                                        (குறள் – 1232)
தணந்தமை சால அறிவிப்ப போலும்
மணந்தநாள் வீங்கிய தோள்.                                                  (குறள் – 1233)

நெஞ்சொடுகிளத்தல்
நினைத்தொன்று சொல்லாயோ நெஞ்சே எனைத்தொன்றும்
எவ்வநோய் தீர்க்கும் மருந்து.                                                 (குறள் – 1241)
கண்ணும் கொளச்சேறி நெஞ்சே இவையென்னைத்
தின்னும் அவர்க்காணல் உற்று.                                              (குறள் – 1244)

அவர்வயின்விதும்பல்
வாளற்றுப் புற்கென்ற கண்ணும் அவர்சென்ற
நாளொற்றித் தேய்ந்த விரல்.                                                  (குறள் – 1261)
புலப்பேன்கொல் புல்லுவேன் கொல்லோ கலப்பேன்கொல்
கண்அன்ன கேளிர் வரின்.                                                     (குறள் – 1267)
வினைகலந்து வென்றீக வேந்தன் மனைகலந்து
மாலை அயர்கம் விருந்து.                                                      (குறள் – 1268)
ஒருநாள் எழுநாள்போல் செல்லும்சேண் சென்றார்
வருநாள்வைத்து ஏங்கு பவர்க்கு.                                            (குறள் – 1269)
பெறின்என்னாம் பெற்றக்கால் என்னாம் உறினென்னாம்
உள்ளம் உடைந்துக்கக் கால்.                                                 (குறள் - 1270

குறிப்பறிவுறுத்தல்
கரப்பினுங் கையிகந் தொல்லாநின் உண்கண்
உரைக்கல் உறுவதொன் றுண்டு.                                           (குறள் – 1271)
மணியில் திகழ்தரு நூல்போல் மடந்தை
அணியில் திகழ்வதொன்று உண்டு.                                        (குறள் – 1273)
முகைமொக்குள் உள்ளது நாற்றம்போல் பேதை
நகைமொக்குள் உள்ளதொன் றுண்டு.                                     (குறள் – 1274)
தொடிநோக்கி மென்தோளும் நோக்கி அடிநோக்கி
அஃதாண் டவள்செய் தது.                                                     (குறள் – 1279)

புணர்ச்சிவிதும்பல்
தினைத்துணையும் ஊடாமை வேண்டும் பனைத்துணையும்
காமம் நிறைய வரின்.                                                            (குறள் – 1282)
பேணாது பெட்பவே செய்யினும் கொண்கனைக்
காணாது அமையல கண்.                                                      (குறள் – 1283)
எழுதுங்கால் கோல்காணாக் கண்ணேபோல் கொண்கன்
பழிகாணேன் கண்ட இடத்து.                                                 (குறள் – 1285)
காணுங்கால் காணேன் தவறாய காணாக்கால்
காணேன் தவறல் லவை.                                                       (குறள் – 1286)
உய்த்தல் அறிந்து புனல்பாய் பவரேபோல்
பொய்த்தல் அறிந்தென் புலந்து.                                             (குறள் – 1287)

நெஞ்சொடுபுலத்தல்
அவர்நெஞ்சு அவர்க்காதல் கண்டும் எவன்நெஞ்சே
நீஎமக்கு ஆகா தது.                                                               (குறள் – 1291)

புலவி
புல்லா திராஅப் புலத்தை அவர்உறும்
அல்லல்நோய் காண்கம் சிறிது.                                               (குறள் – 1301)
உப்பமைந் தற்றால் புலவி அதுசிறிது
மிக்கற்றால் நீள விடல்.                                                         (குறள் – 1302)
         
புலவி நுணுக்கம்
யாரினும் காதலம் என்றேனா ஊடினாள்
யாரினும் யாரினும் என்று.                                                     (குறள் – 1314)
இம்மைப் பிறப்பில் பிரியலம் என்றேனாக்
கண்நிறை நீர்கொண் டனள்.                                                  (குறள் – 1315)
உள்ளினேன் என்றேன்மற் றென்மறந்தீர் என்றென்னைப்
புல்லாள் புலத்தக் கனள்.                                                        (குறள் – 1316)
வழுத்தினாள் தும்மினேன் ஆக அழித்தழுதாள்
யாருள்ளித் தும்மினீர் என்று.                                                  (குறள் – 1317)
தும்முச் செறுப்ப அழுதாள் நுமர்உள்ளல்
எம்மை மறைத்திரோ என்று.                                                  (குறள் – 1318)
தன்னை உணர்த்தினும் காயும் பிறர்க்கும்நீர்
இந்நீரர் ஆகுதிர் என்று.                                                         (குறள் – 1319)
நினைத்திருந்து நோக்கினும் காயும் அனைத்துநீர்
யாருள்ளி நோக்கினீர் என்று.                                                 (குறள் – 1320)

ஊடலுவகை
தவறிலர் ஆயினும் தாம்வீழ்வார் மென்றோள்
அகறலின் ஆங்கொன் றுடைத்து.                                           (குறள் – 1325)
ஊடுதல் காமத்திற்கு இன்பம் அதற்கின்பம்
கூடி முயங்கப் பெறின்.                                                          (குறள் – 1330)





No comments:

Post a Comment